Last modified: 28 February 2010
Outlands College of Heralds
28 February 2010
From the Office of Rampart Herald
Baron Randal Carrick (Randall Jackson)
Unto Omar Mohammed Mirzazadeh, White Stag Principal Herald, and the College of Heralds of the Kingdom of the Outlands, does Randal Carrick, Rampart Herald send his greetings. What follows is the Letter of Response for February 2010CE, ruling on the January 2010 Letter of Presentation. I would like to thank the following heralds for providing commentary for this letter: Furukusu Masahide, Aspen Pursuivant; Francesca di Pavia, Ray de Soleil Pursuivant; Andrew von Otelingen, Barbican Pursuivant; Gawain of Miskbridge, Green Anchor Herald; Rohese de Dinan, and Red Hawk Herald.
The following items were forwarded to Laurel Sovereign for final determination:
- Carola von Naumburg. Device Resubmission (Laurel). Quarterly gules and Or, 2 griffin heads erased and a tower counterchanged.
- Carola von Naumburg. Badge Resubmission (Kingdom). (Fieldless) on a tower per pale gules and Or, a griffin head counterchanged.
- Dagorix Nantonignos. New Name and Device. Or, a bend sinister wavy between two wolf's pawprints azure. Blazon changed by Rampart from Or, between two wolf's pawprints, a bend sinister wavy azure.
- Edmund Peregrine. New Name and Device. Gules, in fess two keys palewise, wards to chief Or, and a bordure sable bezanty. Blazon changed by Rampart from Gules, in fess two keys palewise, wards to chief, and a bordure semy of bezants Or. We find Peregrine: dated to 1243 "Misplaced Names in Reaney & Wilson" by Jeanne Marie Lacroix (http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/misplacednamesbyname.htm)
- Elena Isabella de Glastonbury. Device Resubmission (Kingdom). Vair Or and sable, a rapier inverted argent entwined of the stems of two roses in profile gules slipped and leaved vert. Blazon changed by Rampart from Vair sable and Or, two roses proper entwined a rapier inverted argent.
- Fontaine dans Sable, Barony Of. New Badge. Azure, a battle axe bendwise sinister argent blade to base and distilling gouttes gules within eight fleur-de-lis in annulo bases outward argent. The fleurs could certainly stand to be a little larger, but are not returnably small. While there was some question of whether the gouttes were returnable for being color-on-color, I believe the only requirement for maintained charges such as this is _some_ contrast with the field, not _good_ contrast.
- Halvar Half-Hand. Device Resubmission (Kingdom). Per saltire gules and sable, a fess embattled between three bezants and a crossbow reversed Or
- Olifer Einarsson. New Name and Device. Per pale argent and sable two cranes respectant rampant counterchanged. Blazon changed by Rampart from Per pale argent and sable two cranes respectant counterchanged, to better identify the posture of the cranes.
- Rams Keep, College of. Appeal of return of Name by Kingdom of the Outlands, and request for consideration as a hardship. Internal commenters feel that, given the loss of files and lack of a herald for the branch during the time that a resubmission would have been acceptable, and that all they are asking for is permission to be allowed to use the word "Keep" as part of their branch name, this appeal should be granted by the College of Arms.
- Wolf von der Muhle. New Name (See Returns for device).
- Vanna Lucia Taormina. Device Resubmission (Kingdom). Quarterly sable and gules a butterfly and a bordure embattled argent.
The following items were returned for further work:
- Fontaine dans Sable, Barony of. New Badge. Argent, an hour glass proper within eight fleur-de-lis in annulo bases outward azure. RETURN re-draw: the hourglass should not be drawn transparent so as to see the sand. Per the precedent of Baldwin of Erebor in ruling on the Badge for Company of the Hourglass. Per bend sinister sable and gules, on a pale argent an hourglass running vert: "NOTE: "Transparent charges are not inperiod heraldry. Hourglasses were borne in solid tinctures." (WvS, 31 Oct 82, p. 13)". (http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/precedents/baldwinret.html) In addition, it was the opinion of most of the commenters that there was too much white space in the badge - the fleurs need to be drawn bigger.
- Violante d'Atayde. Device Resubmission (Laurel). Gules, a winged gynosphinx rampant contourney Or. PENDED until a final determination on the previous submission by Laurel.
- Wolf von der Muhle. New Device. Vert, on a pile between a pair of wings argent a triple-arched bridge sable. The bridge is too small to be identifiable, and does not fill the available space. RETURNED for re-draw.
Thus ends the February 2010 Letter of Response.
Baron Randal Carrick