Last modified: 27 December 2009
Outlands College of Heralds
27 December 2009
From the Office of Rampart Herald
Baron Randal Carrick (Randall Jackson)
Unto Marie de Blois, White Stag Principal Herald, and the College of Heralds of the Kingdom of the Outlands, does Randal Carrick, Rampart Herald send his greetings. What follows is the Letter of Response for December 2009CE, ruling on the November 2009 Letter of Presentation. I would like to thank the following heralds for providing commentary for this letter: Furukusu Masahide, Aspen Pursuivant; Francesca di Pavia, Ray de Soleil Pursuivant; Marie de Blois, White Stag Principal Herald; Æðeluulf munuc, Fretty Herald; Sorcha MacLeod; Llywus ap Alan, Weel Herald; Jibra'il `Attar; Timothy O'Brien, Besom Herald; Charles Roberts, Scorpion Pursuivant Emeritus, Andrew von Otelingen, Barbican Pursuivant, Inez Alfon, Blanch Tygre Herald Extraordinary; and Gawain of Miskbridge, Green Anchor Herald. Very special thanks go to Lady Leonor Ruiz de Lison, for providing extensive research into Mongolian naming practices.
Due to Estrella War, Kingdom Heralds and Scribes, and Crown Tournament coming up in the next couple of months, the Rampart and Castle schedules will have to be adjusted slightly. Henceforth, any submissions received by Castle after the first day of the month will be processed on the following month's LOP. I have been lenient in the past in an effort to reduce the wait for submitters to hear about the disposition of their submissions, but I feel that this change is merited given the accelerated decision making at Laurel as noted on the November 2009 LoAR Cover Letter. As a warning for those who want to submit at Estrella, Castle does not usually receive those submissions for at least a month after the event, meaning they will most likely _not_ be sufficient to qualify for Crown Tournament in March.
The Rampart Decision Meeting for January will be held at it's normally scheduled time on the third Wednesday of the month (January 20th). The February Decision Meeting will be held as a Roadshow at Kingdom Heralds and Scribes, on February 27th. We will also (time allowing) be commenting on the February 2009 LoP. All are invited to attend and assist.
The following items were forwarded to Laurel Sovereign for final determination:
- Andrew von Otelingen. Device Resubmission (Laurel). Argent, on a pile azure a fleur-de-lis argent, all within a bordure azure.
- Briatiz d'Andrade. Change of Primary Name from Kathryn Brian Chevreuil and New Badge. (Fieldless) a swan rousant to sinister ermine.
- Caer Galen, Barony of. Order Name Resubmission (Kingdom) - Order of the Book and Harp.
- Caer Galen, Barony of. Order Name Resubmission (Laurel) - Order of Saint. Louis with the Staff. Name changed by Rampart from "Order of St. Louis with the Staff", as the College does not register scribal abbreviations such as "St."
- Caer Galen, Barony of. Order Name Resubmission (Laurel) - Order of Saint. Michael with the Harp. Name changed by Rampart from "Order of St. Michael with the Harp", as the College does not register scribal abbreviations such as "St."
- Elena Isabella de Glastonbury. Name Resubmission (Laurel). One commenter raised the question of whether middle names were user in Tudor England, which was not answered at Kingdom, and left for Pelican to address.
- Fontaine dans Sable, Barony of. Badge Resubmission (Laurel). Argent, in fess an ewer reversed sable, a three-tiered fountain spouting azure and an ewer sable all within eight fleur-de-lis in annulo bases outward azure. Blazon changed by Rampart from Argent, in fess an ewer reversed sable, a three-tiered fountain spouting azure and an ewer sable all within an orle of fleur-de-lis bases outward azure.
- Kiyajin Qulan. Name resubmission (Laurel) (see Returns for Device). Name changed by Rampart from Hulan Kiyat, as submitter requested authenticity for Mongolian. In Commentary, Lady Leonore Ruiz de Lison provided extensive documentation supporting this name construction, and submitter approved the change.
- Rosalind of Wellmark. New Badge. (Fieldless) a cross bottony gules Fimbriated Argent. Blazon changed by Rampart from (Fieldless) a cross bottony argent debruised by a cross bottony gules. Several commenters questioned whether this charge is too complex to be properly fimbriated, but it is primarily geometric in nature and not a complex line such as an animal, and therefore will be left to Laurel's determination.
- Seóan mac Ruadhrí Ui Ceallacháin. Device Resubmission (Kingdom). Vert, on a chevron argent between three fleams reversed Or, three gouttes de sang.
- Thorfinn Greybeard. Device (Augmentation) Resubmission (Kingdom). Argent, a tree and in saltire a viking bearded axe and a smithing hammer gules, and in augmentation, on a chief chequy gules and argent, three roundels Or. Augmentation was awarded 3/18/2000.
- Unser Hafen, Barony of. Badge Resubmission (Kingdom). (Fieldless) a portcullis vert.
- Wieslaw z Krakowa. New Name and Device. Argent, on a pile azure a fleur-de-lis argent, all within a bordure azure, a label Or.
- William de Kari. Device Resubmission (Laurel). Per chevron Or semy of hurts and azure, in base a standing balance Or. Several commenters noted that the device does not show a proper "semy" of hurts, but could not adequately reblazon this grouping of charges, and so we are submitting to Laurel with "Semy" as the best description of the charges.
The following items were returned for further work:
- Halvar Half-Hand. Device Resubmission (Kingdom). Per saltire gules and sable, a fess embattled between three bezants fesswise and a crossbow inverted Or. The fess is too high on the escutcheon. Almost ½ the height of the escutcheon is below the fess and less than ¼ above. The fess (including embattlements) should occupy the center 1/3 of the escutcheon. This would give the bezants "room to breathe", and would require the crossbow to be drawn slightly smaller. Return for redraw.
- Hulan Kiyat. Device Resubmission. Sable, a lion passant argent beneath a chevron argent, all between two quatrafoils argent. Returned for conflict with Zenobia Blake, reg. 5/96 via the East: Sable, a chevron between three broadarrows inverted argent. One CD for type of secondaries.
- Jacques Lambert. New Badge. Per bend purpure and vert, a pegasus rampant argent. Returned for Conflict with Marisse vanden Berghe, reg. 2/2004 via Caid: Per bend sable and barry wavy argent and azure, a pegasus salient argent. One CD for changing the tincture of the field.
Thus ends the December 2009 Letter of Response.
Baron Randal Carrick