Last modified: 16 March 2011
Outlands College of Heralds
28 February 2011
From the Office of Rampart Herald
Baron Randal Carrick (Randall Jackson)
Unto Omar Mohammed Mirzazadeh, White Stag Principal Herald, and the College of Heralds of the Kingdom of the Outlands, does Randal Carrick, Rampart Herald send his greetings. What follows is the Letter of Response for February 2011 CE, ruling on the December 2010 and January 2011 Letters of Presentation. I would like to thank the following heralds for providing commentary for this letter: Master Louis-Philippe Mitouard, Catspaw Herald Extraordinary; THL Eric Morrison, Hawk's Hollow Pursuivant; THL Ailinn Shadowfox; Lady Leonor Ruiz de Lison; Lord Andrew von Otelingen, Barbican Pursuivant; Ines Alfon; and Gawain of Miskbridge, Green Anchor Herald.
The following items were forwarded to Laurel Sovereign for final determination:
- Andrew von Otelingen - New Badge. Quarterly argent and azure, a bordure counterchanged.
- Andrew von Otelingen - New Badge. Fieldless, a flame argent and azure.
- Anzelm Kowalski - New Device. Gules, a key palewise, wards to sinister base Or, on a chief argent a greyhound courant to sinister.
- Barbary Bramble - New Name. (see Returns for Device).
- Ealusaid inghean Mhaoil Choluin - New Name & New Device. Per fess purpure and Or, a hummingbird volant Or and three roses purpure barbed and seeded proper.
- Jethro Stille - Badge Resubmission. Gules, between the blades of a Zulfikar inverted a mullet of six points Or.
- Lochlainn O Mahony - New Name & New Device. Azure, a ferret salient argent in chief a bezant.
- Nicolaao Machado - New Name.
The following items were RETURNED for further work:
- Barbary Bramble - New Device. Sable, on a pile inverted argent, a strawberry bendwise to sinister proper, overall a wreath of thorns, counterchanged.. This must be returned for counterchanging a complex charge over an ordinary. Per the collected precedents of Jaelle of Armida (http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/precedents/jaeprec.html#Counterchanging), "The only time we permit a charge to be counterchanged over another is when they are both ordinaries. (Shire of Crystal Crags, 12/98 p. 13)"
- Gawain Ivarsson and Milesha Kulikova - New Badge. Per pale sable and purpure, dexter a pegasus rampant, sinister a natural dolphin haurient, combattant, Or. This badge appears to be an attempt to impale the submitter's separate arms (or at least the primary charge and field of each) to create the joint badge, which, while very period, is also not permitted under RFS XI.3 (http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/rfs.html#11.3): "Armory that appears to marshall independent arms is considered presumptuous. Period marshalling combined two or more separate designs to indicate descent from noble parents and claim to inheritance. Since members of the Society are all required to earn their status on their own merits, apparent claims to inherited status are presumptuous. Divisions commonly used for marshalling, such as quarterly or per pale, may only be used in contexts that ensure marshalling is not suggested". Unfortunately, there is no allowance for a joint badge that marshalls the arms of the submitters (I checked).
- Safiyya bint Faris al-Dani - Device resubmission. Paly Or and azure a lion's head erased sable. Returned for conflict with Anebairn MacPharlaine of Arrochar, reg. 5/80 via Ansteorra: Per pale azure and argent, a lion's head erased sable, as well as Thelic of Darktide, reg. 2/07 via the West: Quarterly Or and argent, an ounce's head erased sable, incensed gules. In each case, there is only 1 CD for changing the field. As a note for re-submission, Changing the head to face the other direction brings it into conflict with other things (including An Tir's fieldless populace badge).