Last modified: 29 October 2009
Outlands College of Heralds
29 October 2009
From the Office of Rampart Herald
Æðeluulf Munec (Jeff Phipps)
Unto Marie de Blois, White Stag Principal Herald, and the
College of Heralds of the Kingdom of the Outlands, does
Æðeluulf munuc, Rampart Herald send his greetings. I
write you this day concerting the Letter of Response for
September 2009CE. I would like to thank the following heralds for
providing commentary for this letter: Randal Carrick, Castle
Herald; Furukusu Masahide, Aspen Pursuivant; Francesca di Pavia,
Ray de Soleil Pursuivant; Louis-Philippe Mitouard, Catspaw Herald
Extraordinary; Leonor Ruiz de Lisón; Eíbhlín
inghean Fhearghusa; Maryam al-Bayda, TBD Herald Extraordinary;
Einarr Grimsson, Saker Herald; Caoimhin McKee; and Gawain of
Miskbridge, Green Anchor Herald, as well as the attendees of the
"Rampart Road Show" at StagsCon, many of whom had commented
electronically, and provided dramatic readings of their
commentary in person.
Finally, I would like to thank everyone who has assisted me in my tenure as Rampart Herald, and hope that they will continue to assist Baron Carrick as he transitions from Castle to Rampart. I will enjoy my retirement, stepping back into the position of Fretty Herald (one of our College of Arms commentary positions, the other being the vacant Liber Herald). Please contact Marie, White Stag if you are interested in Commenting for the Outlands.
The following items were forwarded to Laurel Sovereign for final determination:
- Adam Mathyson. New Device. Gules, a bend sinister sable fimbriated, in chief a bear pawprint argent.
- Al Ulaghan Chinua. New Name & Device. Sable, on a fess argent between a scimitar fesswise reversed and a scimitar fesswise proper, a wolf courant gules.
- Alverkes Czypser. New Name & Device. Per bend sinister argent and sable, a fox courant per bend sinister gules and argent.
- Celestina Santi. New Name. (See RETURNS for Device)
- James Maccorquodill. Device Resubmission. Or, three crosses crosslet one and two gules, on a chief gules a rose argent.
- Magge Magnus. New Device. Purpure, on a bend between two hummingbirds hovering argent three butterflies bend-sinisterwise purpure.
- Myhell Ruadh. New Device. Barry azure and argent, a shark urinant Or, on a chief wavy argent three herrings haurient sinister gules
- Robert Magnus. New Device. Or, a raptor's foot erased gules and on a base sable a mullet of eight points Or.
- Thorir kyrsbani. New Device. Per bend
sinister argent and sable crusilly latin bottony counterchanged,
on a bend sinister gules three roses argent.
The submitter is urged to draw the roses larger in the future.
- Umamah bint Zayd al-Andalusiyyah. New Device. Argent, a Hungerford knot tasseled sable, enfiled of an arm embowed and an arm counterembowed gules.
- Violetta Villani. New Name.
Commentary pointed out that the documentation for this name indidcates it is a masculine name
- Wolfgang Bienemann vom Schwartzwald. New
Name and Device. Per chevron sable and Or, two bees and a fir tree
Name was changed from [Wolfgang der Imker vom Schwarzwald], as [Imker] was not found in a dated form. (See RETURNS for Device)
The following items were returned for further work:
- Branwen ferch Gruffudd Rhodri. Device
Resubmission. Sable, a vol and on a bordure gules fimbriated
nine lillies argent.
Peripheral charges cannot be fimbriated, so this must be returned (RfS VIII.3). Additionally, commenters said that while the lilies looked better this time around, they were still difficult to identify, and they may be too detailed to be drawn on a bordure.
- Carola von Naumburg. New Badge.
(Fieldless) on a tower gules, a griffon head Or
Conflict with (Fieldless) On a castle gules a griffin segreant Or (Griffin Wharvager, 01/2008 Atlantia), only the single difference for Fieldlessness (RfS X.4.a.iii) as Castles and Towers are not significantly different. It may be possible to get a letter of permission to conflict, as this is a recent registration.
- Celestina Santi. Device Resubmission. Per pall azure, purpure, and gules, a greyhound sejant proper. Cannot use per pall of three colours; one of the field-divisions should be a metal to ensure good contrast on at least 1/3rd of the field (RfS VIII.2.b.v). Additionally, there is no definition for a greyhound proper, so this should be marked as a greyhound argent marked brown. Finally, this device is in conflict with Asne Whitewolf (April of 2000 via Artemisia): (Fieldless) A wolf sejant argent with only one CD for the change in field (RfS X.4.a.iii).
- Ótama in glaða. Device Resubmission. Purpure, in pale a flame proper and a dragonfly, a chief rayonny Or. The client has been over-zealous in addressing the concerns in the previous return; the chief is now too thick, causing the rest of the charges to become too small in the lower section of the field. Additionally, the client's previous flame was drawn with better tongues than this one, the charge was very difficult to identify. Society armory considers a flame proper (on a dark field) as the same as a flame Or voided gules (or, alternatively, a flame Or charged with a flame gules).
- Rivkah ha Cantor bat Benjamine. New Name and
Device. Gules a fillet Or, a black wolf sejant head erect
proper and in chief three shofars Or.
Need documentation for the name element [Cantor] that it is either an occupational byname that can be held by females, or that it was an inheritable occupational byname. Also, the submitter needs to provide dated spellings for the surname [Benjamine]. Device is returned for color-on-color; the the sable wolf on a gules field has insufficient contrast, and must be returned.
- Rónán Suipeal. New Name and
Device. Quarterly Sable and Vert, a dragon rampant
The submitter's chosen surname is not adequately documented with dated spellings. Neither of Mac Lysaght's books are acceptable as primary sources (LoAR 07/2007) as they deal with modern and anglicised spellings of names; if the submitter can find a dated spelling of the surname [Suipeal] we will be able to send this forward. The device is returned for conflict with Gyronny Or and azure, a dragon segreant argent (Brychan Tammas, 01/96 East), only one change for the field. Dragons Rampant and Segregant do not differ significantly.
- Tiberius Acilius Brutus. Device
Resubmission. Per bend sinister argent and vert, a quiver and
a ram's head caboshed counterchanged.
This is being returned for a couple of artistic reasons. First and foremost was the identifiability of the charge at the top-left; many submitters thought it was an escutcheon. We advise the submitter to re-draw the quiver with some arrows sticking out of it so it is more recognisable as a quiver. Also, the rams head in the lower-right corner seems to be crowded by the line of division; if both it and the quiver were moved and resized to fill the center of their respective portions of the field, they would not be so crowded.
Inscribed this XXIX day of October in the year of grace MMIX being the XLIII year of the society and the feast of Saint Mary of Edessa.