Last modified: 26 August 2009
Outlands College of Heralds
26 August 2009
From the Office of Rampart Herald
Æðeluulf Munec (Jeff Phipps)
Unto Marie de Blois, White Stag Principal Herald, and the
College of Heralds of the Kingdom of the Outlands, does
Æðeluulf munuc, Rampart Herald send his greetings. I
write you this day concerting the Letter of Response for August
I would like to thank the following heralds for providing their commentary: Baron Randal Carrick, Castle Herald; Maestra Francesca di Pavia, Ray de Soleil Pursuivant; Lady Rohese de Dinan, Red Hawk Herald; Lord Christian d’Hiver; Lady Pipa Sparkes; Gawain of Miskbridge, Green Anchor Heral.
The following items were forwarded to Laurel Soverign for final determination:
- al-Barran, Barony of. Order Name Resubmission. Order of the Silver Dagger
- Bernhardt Grimme. New Name and Device. Or, in pale a cross crosslet gules and a brown bear head cabossed proper, attired of stag's antlers sable. (blazon changed from Or, a brown bear head guardant proper, atired of stag's antlers sable in chief a cross crosslet gules).
- Caerthe, Barony of. New Badge. Or, a glove within a bordure embattled sable.
- Caerthe, Barony of. Order Name Resubmission. Order of the Keystone of Caerthe.
- Charles Robert Blackstone. Badge Resubmission. (Fieldless) A lion passant guardant erminois wearing a baronial coronet Or.
- Jehannete la Picarde. New Name and Device. Argent, three cups and a bordure purpure.
- Seóan mac Ruaidhrí Ui Ceallacháin. Name Resubmission. (changed from Seóan mac Ruaidhri Ui Ceallachán. to match documentation)
- Slaine inghean Ui Sheanain. Device Resubmission. Quarterly argent and sable, a thistle and a bordure counterchanged.
The following items were returned for further work:
- al-Barran, Barony of. Order Name Resubmission. Order
This submission conflicts with Order of Vigilance, registered May 2003 to the Barony of Sentinel’s Keep, Artemisia. With a letter of permission to conflict and the addition of a locative or another element, it is believed that this will clear the conflict.
- Cera ingen Rónáin. New Badge.
(Fieldless) A dragon segreant vert
Argent, a dragon sergeant vert maintaining a Latin cross bottony Or.” Just one CD for the field.
- Conall Óg mac Dabhidh. New Device.
Vert, three chevronels braced Or, on a chief indented argent,
a salmon naiant gules.
Drawing the chevronels to conjoin the chief in this way makes the whole thing difficult to figure out.
- Elena of Glastonbury. Device Resubmission.
Or, a chief triangular sable, overall a rapier inverted
proper entwined of two roses gules slipped and leafed vert, all
within a bordure gules.
The resbumission addresses some of the stylistic issues with the previous device while introducing more of it's own. The entertwined roses are now so thick as to be difficult to identify, and serve to isolate the proper (argent) sword from the Or field (metal on metal), and would not be easily reproduced from the emblazon. Additionally, the chief triangular should be redrawn to accurately reflect the charge: if it is a chief, it should be below the bordure; if it is a chevron inverted, it should come further down the field and have a shallower angle; if it is a pile, it should extend to the base of the field. Finally, if the sword is overall, it should overlap the bordure as well as the chief. For all of these reasons, this device is returned for a redraw.
Inscribed during the feast of Saint Alexander of Bergamo,
being the XXVI of August in the XLIIII year of the society, being
the year of grace MMIX.