Last modified: 31 December 2011
Outlands College of Heralds
17 December 2011
From the Office of Rampart Herald
Baron Randal Carrick (Randall Jackson)
Unto Omar Mohammed Mirzazadeh, White Stag Principal Herald, and the College of Heralds of the Kingdom of the Outlands, does Randal Carrick, Rampart Herald send his greetings. What follows is the Letter of Response for December 2011 CE, ruling on the November 2011 Letter of Presentation. I would like to thank the following heralds for providing commentary for this letter: Mistress Francesca de Pavia, Ray-de-Soleil Pursuivant, Master Louis-Philippe Mitouard, Catspaw Herald Extraordinary; THL Eric Morrison, Hawk's Hollow Pursuivant; Lady Leonor Ruiz de Lison; Lord Andrew von Otelingen; Lady Katelin de Irlande; Lady Khalidah bint Yayah, Castle Herald; Faelan O' Laghlan, Readstan Pursuivant; Ines Alfon, Blanch Tiger Herald; Lady Shoshanah Simkhah bas Ruven; Baron Andros Korkyrates; Baron Angus McFarland; Don Estevan Sepultura; Lady Barbary Bramble; Lord Mathom of Erlinstar; Lady Aritê gunê Akasa; and Gawain of Miskbridge, Green Anchor Herald.
The following items were forwarded to Laurel Sovereign for final determination:
- Aloisia Ambercoast - New Name.
- Barberry Bramble - New Device. Sable, per chevron argent a strawberry bendwise to sinister proper, overall a wreath of thorns counterchanged.
- Dihya n Kel Ahaggar - Resub Name and Resub Device. Argent, three gouttes de larmes and on a chief azure a plate between two mullets of six points elongated to chief and base.
- Gilliana Leigh Gallwey - New Device. Sable, between three bulls' heads couped argent, armed and gorged of a strand of pearls Or, a chevron argent.
- Llewellyn Saethydd - New Name.
- Readstan, Canton of - New Badge. Gules, a griffon's head contourney erased argent collared sable platy.
- Sebastiaen Bastoen - New Device. Quarterly Sable and Gules, a fleur-de-lis within a bordure embattled Or.
- Sigurðr Kveld-Úlfr - New Device. Argent, a goat rampant contourney gules.
- Sigurðr Kveld-Úlfr - New Badge. Argent, two goats combatant gules.
- Wolf von der Mühle - New Device. Vert, on a pile between a pair of wings argent a triple-arched bridge sable.
The following items were RETURNED for further work:
- Ari St. Louis. New Name and Device. Azure a chevron between in chief three mullets of six points and a fleur de lis argent. Unfortunately, the College of Arms does not register scribal abbreviations. The name "Ari Saint Louis" appears to be registerable, but because submitter does not allow major changes, we are unable to correct the spelling of this name to remove the scribal abbreviation "St.". The device is being returned for lack of a name to send it up with. Further, submitter should refrain from coloring the argent areas of the field silver. Plain white paper works much better for our purposes, in all cases.
- Jorhildr Hrafnskald Cuilleann. New Name and Device. Per saltire vert and argent in pale a raven perched on a thistle and a boar proper. The College of Arms does not register nicknames. In this case, this name must be returned for several reasons; it contains a feminine given name with a masculine byname of suspect construction, it appears to use a <given name>+<given name>+<byname> construction that is not appropriate for Old Norse, and finally, the Gaelic name used as a surname is actually a given name, nbut we could find no evidence it was ever spelled this way. The device is returned for lack of a name to send it up with. On re-submission, submitter should be aware that the thistle is large enough visually to potentially be considered a sustained charge, making three charges in the primary charge group, which is not registerable.
- Jorhildr Hrafnskald Cuilleann. New Badge. Fieldless, a boar rampant maintaining a shield and spear proper. This badge is returned for lack of a name to send it up with, and for conflict. The arms on the shield the boar is holding must be separately blazoned, (Fieldless) a boar rampant sustaining a spear and maintaining a shield bearing Per saltire argent and vert, a pellet, and conflict-checked independently. In this case, it conflicts with Muiredach O'Siadhail (East, Jan 1996): Gyronny arrondy Or and gules, a gunstone, with only 1 cd for the change to the field.
- Jorhildr Hrafnskald Cuilleann. New Badge. Fieldless, a raven perched on a thistle proper sustaining a quill pen Or. This badge is returned for lack of a name to send it up with. Given the relative sizes of the charges, it appears that the feather could be considered a maintained charge, thus avoiding the slot-machine problem with the device.
- Jorhildr Hrafnskald Cuilleann. New Badge. Fieldless, a winged fox gules perched on an arrow proper maintaining a bow. This badge is returned for lack of a name to send it up with. Once again, the relative sizes of the charges (bow, arrow, and fox) raise the possibility that they could all be considered co-primary, which would not be registerable.
- Raes Augustine. Device Resubmission (Kingdom). Ermine, on a canton vert a fox courant Or. While this re-design addresses the marshalling problem, it introduces issues with conflict and presumption. Specifically, the field by itself is identical to the arms of Brittany, Ermine. In addition, per RFS XI.4, charged cantons are reserved for augmentations of arms, and may not be registered by individuals without documentation of such award.