Last modified: 19 October 2011
Outlands College of Heralds
19 October 2011
From the Office of Rampart Herald
Baron Randal Carrick (Randall Jackson)
Unto Omar Mohammed Mirzazadeh, White Stag Principal Herald, and the College of Heralds of the Kingdom of the Outlands, does Randal Carrick, Rampart Herald send his greetings. What follows is the Letter of Response for October 2011 CE, ruling on the September 2011 Letter of Presentation. I would like to thank the following heralds for providing commentary for this letter: Mistress Francesca de Pavia, Ray-de-Soleil Pursuivant, Master Louis-Philippe Mitouard, Catspaw Herald Extraordinary; THL Eric Morrison, Hawk's Hollow Pursuivant; Lady Leonor Ruiz de Lison; Lord Andrew von Otelingen; Lady Katelin de Irlande; Lady Khalidah bint Yayah, Castle Herald; Faelan O' Laghlan; Ines Alfon, Blanch Tiger Herald; Lady Shoshanah Simkhah bas Ruven; Lady Aritê gunê Akasa; and Gawain of Miskbridge, Green Anchor Herald.
The following items were forwarded to Laurel Sovereign for final determination:
- Bronwen Blackwell. New Badge. Argent, two covered cups in fess sable and a point pointed vert. Blazon changed from Argent, point pointed vert, two covered cups sable.
- Conrad von Zollern. New Alternate Name, Oshere Ceoluhtes suna.
- Conrad von Zollern and Katelin de Irlande. New Badge. Per Fess Or and argent, a lion rampant and a sinister tierce embattled sable.
- Conrad von Zollern and Katelin de Irlande. New Badge. Per fess Or and argent, a lion rampant contourny and a dexter tierce embattled sable.
- Jehennette van Mynden. New Name
- Katelin de Irlande. New Badge. Per saltire Or and argent, within a bordure a hind statant regardant, vert.
- Otto der Schwarzherz. Name Resubmission (Kingdom).
- Robert Magnus. Device Resubmission (Laurel). Or, a raptor's foot erased gules and on a base sable a mullet of eight points Or.
- Rónán Sheapallh. Name and Device Resubmission (Kingdom). Quarterly sable and vert, a chevron argent.
- Sean O Faolan. New Name and Device. Per bend sinister Or and azure, a wolf statant and a bordure counterchanged.
- Tyrfingr von Wolfsberg. New Badge. Quarterly gules and Or, a cross potent quarterly Or and azure, in a canton sinister a cross couped gules.
The following items were RETURNED for further work:
- Aoibheann Ní Choileáin. Change of Name from Geillis inghean Phóil uí Shirideín. The article "Ni" has been found to be a postperiod usage, and has not been registerable for some time. The correct usage would be "inghean", but because submitter does not allow major changes, this name must be RETURNED.
- Conrad von Zollern. New Badge to be associated with alternate name, Justin Timme. Per chevron sable and argent, in pale a demi-sun issuant from the line of division Or, and an hourglass sable. Commenters raised questions about the depiction of the hourglass, noting that it appears to be tipped forward, giving it somewhat of a trian aspect. From the September 2010 LoAR (http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2010/09/10-09lar.html) "This device is returned because the hourglass is depicted in trian aspect. Having a three-dimensional appearance has long been grounds for return. While certain charges (wedges of cheese, dice, etc.) require trian aspect to be recognizable, the hourglass is not among them."
- Conrad von Zollern. Badge Resubmission (Kingdom). Per saltire Or and argent, a stag's head erased vert. RETURNED for conflict with Geoffrey Biedermann (Feb. 2000 via Ansteorra) "Argent, a stag's head erased vert". There is only 1 CD for the change to the field.
- Conrad von Zollern and Katelin de Irlande. New Household Name, Priory of the Lion of the Abbey of Saint David. Submitters documented the construction of the household name using Project Ordensnamen, by Meradudd Cethin, and included what may be the defining instance of "Priory of" as a household designator. There are 2 problems with this. First, Laurel noted that name patters for order names are not appropriate for household names on the September 2009 LoAR (http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/loar/2009/09/09-09lar.html), returning the name House Silver Talon (via Aethelmearc): "To be a house name, this must be justified as an inn sign name. It can't be based on the pattern for an order, as it's not an order. The concept is at some level fine; Margaret's "Comparison of Inn/Shop/House names found London 1473-1600 with those found in the ten shires surrounding London in 1636" (http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~grm/signs-1485-1636.html) has <Eagles foote> before 1600. Mari's "English Sign Names From 17th Century Tradesman's Tokens" (http://www.medievalscotland.org/kmo/Tokens/) has <Golden Leg>. That's probably close enough to give <talon> the benefit of the doubt..." Secondly, the designator "Priory of" makes no sense in combination with "Abbey of", and would not have been used in period. While submitters allow changes, we have no idea how to rescue this particular construction.
- Djurig von Aukring. New Name. This name is RETURNED for lack of documentation. No documentation was submitted with this submission, and commenters were unable to find anything close to this name construction beyond the article "von". Without examples of Djurig and Aukring used as names prior to 1600, including dated spellings of the name, this must be returned.
- Ku Jin. Name and Device Resubmission (Kingdom). Per bend sinister sable and argent, a centipede argent and a plum branch sable and gules. This name must be RETURNED for insufficient documetnation. The documentation provided consists of unreliable baby-name websites, and does nothing to document Jin as a personal name instead of a family name. On re-submission, submitter should include references to dated spellings showing the name Jin used as a personal name in period. The Device is returned for lack of a name to send it up with. We note that this would be the first instance of a centipede in Society armory, and submitter should include documentation showing it's use in a heraldic context in period.