Last modified: 26 September 2011
Outlands College of Heralds
15 September 2011
From the Office of Rampart Herald
Baron Randal Carrick (Randall Jackson)
Unto Omar Mohammed Mirzazadeh, White Stag Principal Herald, and the College of Heralds of the Kingdom of the Outlands, does Randal Carrick, Rampart Herald send his greetings. What follows is the Letter of Response for September 2011 CE, ruling on the August 2011 Letter of Presentation. I would like to thank the following heralds for providing commentary for this letter: Mistress Francesca de Pavia, Ray-de-Soleil Pursuivant, Master Louis-Philippe Mitouard, Catspaw Herald Extraordinary; THL Eric Morrison, Hawk's Hollow Pursuivant; THL Ailinn Shadowfox; Lady Leonor Ruiz de Lison; Editha Filia Rolandi; Lord Andrew von Otelingen; Tyr von Wolfsburg, Wimble Herald; Lady Katelin de Irlande; Ines Alfon; and Gawain of Miskbridge, Green Anchor Herald.
The following items were forwarded to Laurel Sovereign for final determination:
- Biket fil Benjamin de Canterbury. Name and Device Resubmission (Kingdom). Gules, a chevron inverted and in chief a Star of David Or.
- CŠelainn ingen ChŠemgein hui Thaidc. Device Resubmission (Laurel). Per pale, argent and purpure, two annulets conjoined in fess and a bordure counterchanged.
- Galfrid de Blakemere. New Name and Device. Per fess urdy purpure and argent, two crosses fleury argent and a cross fleury sable.
- Rowland of Lincolnshire. New Name and Device. Or, on a chief embattled gules a compass star Or, a key reversed and a base gules.
- Veroniqua d'Avignon. New Name
The following items were RETURNED for further work:
- Ailleann inghean Fhiodhbhuidhe. New Household Name Domus
Marius and new Badge. Azure, a
caltrop within a bordure embattled argent. Numerous commenters
noted that in order to meet the naming convention submitter intended, the
household name should be in the genitive case, as Domus Marii.
Given that this is a substantial change, and significantly changes the sound
of the name, which submitter indicated was most important to them, we are
electing to return the name rather than risk registering a name submitter
does not want.
Taking the blazon as the intended badge (as drawn, it is actually Argent, on a rondel azure, a caltrop within a bordure embattled argent, which causes it's own separate contrast issues), this badge must be RETURNED for multiple conflicts: Guillaume de Bracy, reg. 10/2001 via Atlantia: "Counter-ermine, a caltrop and a bordure embattled argent", there's but one CD for the field. Also: Somalia, reg. 9/1995 via Laurel: Azure, a mullet argent, there is only 1 CD for the bordure, as mullets and caltrops conflict as well.
- Caerthe, Barony of. Order Name Resubmission (Laurel). Order of the Arbor of Caerthe. RETURNED for lack of documentation of the order name construction. Submitter should consult Medieval Secular Order Names by Juliana de Luna (http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/names/order/new/) and document each element of the name accordingly before re-submitting.