Last modified: 26 September 2011
Outlands College of Heralds
15 September 2011
From the Office of Rampart Herald
Baron Randal Carrick (Randall Jackson)
Unto Omar Mohammed Mirzazadeh, White Stag Principal Herald, and the College of Heralds of the Kingdom of the Outlands, does Randal Carrick, Rampart Herald send his greetings. What follows is the Letter of Response for August 2011 CE, ruling on the July 2011 Letter of Presentation. I would like to thank the following heralds for providing commentary for this letter: Mistress Francesca de Pavia, Ray-de-Soleil Pursuivant, Master Louis-Philippe Mitouard, Catspaw Herald Extraordinary; THL Eric Morrison, Hawk's Hollow Pursuivant; THL Ailinn Shadowfox; Lady Leonor Ruiz de Lison; Editha Filia Rolandi; Lord Andrew von Otelingen; Tyr von Wolfsburg, Wimble Herald; Lady Katelin de Irlande; Ines Alfon; and Gawain of Miskbridge, Green Anchor Herald.
The following items were forwarded to Laurel Sovereign for final determination:
- Bryngolau, Shire of. New Branch Name and Device. Per chevron gules and azure, in a pale a demi-sun issuant from the line of division and a laurel wreath Or.
- Gilliana Leigh Gallwey. New Name. See RETURNS for device
- Pipa de Blakemere. Change of Name from Rayhana bint Yakub al-Najjar and New Device. Per bend argent and sable, a panther rampant incensed sable and a cross fleury argent, within a bordure embattled per bend purpure and argent.
- Seóan mac Ruaidhrí Uí Cheallacháin. New Badge. Gyronny gules and Or, a mouse statant erect ermine sustaining a spoon argent charged with a fleam reversed vert. Blazon changed from Gyronny gules and Or, a mouse statant erect ermine sustaining a spoon argent charged with a fleam vert.
The following items were RETURNED for further work:
- Gilliana Leigh Gallwey. New Device. Sable between three bulls' heads couped argent, armed and engorged of a strand of pearls Or, a chevron argent. Per the precedent set forth on the May 2011 LoAR Cover Letter (http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/loar/2011/05/11-05cl.html), a correctly drawn chevron must extend as far above the centerline of the escutcheon as it does below. This chevron has more below than above, and must be returned under the new precedent. Also, the chevron is a little on the skinny side, and could stand to be slightly thicker.
- Lelien Widoeghe. Device Change. Per pale vert and argent, six fleur-de-lys two, two, and two counterchanged. RETURNED for conflict with Helena Sibylla, reg. 4/10 via the Middle: Per pale vert and argent all semy-de-lys counterchanged. Unless we count a CD between six and an indeterminate number (and we do not), there are no countable differences between the devices at all.
- Liu Yuan Ming. Device Resubmission (Laurel). Sable, a bezant charged with a tree proper within a dragon in annulo vorant of its tail Or. RETURNED for presumption. The dragon in annulo is clearly drawn with four toes, which by precedent is reserved for Korean Royalty (just as dragons with 5 toes are reserved to the Emperor of China).