Last modified: 8 May 2011
Outlands College of Heralds
30 April 2011
From the Office of Rampart Herald
Baron Randal Carrick (Randall Jackson)
Unto Omar Mohammed Mirzazadeh, White Stag Principal Herald, and the College of Heralds of the Kingdom of the Outlands, does Randal Carrick, Rampart Herald send his greetings. What follows is the Letter of Response for April 2011 CE, ruling on the March 2011 Letter of Presentation. I would like to thank the following heralds for providing commentary for this letter: Master Louis-Philippe Mitouard, Catspaw Herald Extraordinary; THL Eric Morrison, Hawk's Hollow Pursuivant; THL Ailinn Shadowfox; Lady Leonor Ruiz de Lison; Editha Filia Rolandi; Lord Andrew von Otelingen, Barbican Pursuivant; Ines Alfon; and Gawain of Miskbridge, Green Anchor Herald.
The following items were forwarded to Laurel Sovereign for final determination:
- Bárekr Úlfheðinn - New Name and Device. Per fess urdy sable and argent. Name changed from Barekr Úlfhéðinn for consistency in accents between the given and surnames.
- Beatrice de Craie - Device Resubmission (Kingdom). Sable two chevrons rompu ermine.
- Walter æt Defenascire - New Device. Azure, in pale a scorpion inverted and a bear passant, a bordure Or.
The following items were RETURNED for further work:
- Aloisia of the Amber Coast - New Name. While the given name Aloisia is an acceptable English name per Withycombe, the provided documentation seems to support "Ambercoast" rather than "of the Amber Coast". Because submitter requested a Slavic name, and the provided documentation supports an English name, this submission will be Returned for further documentation and clarification.
- Ildaria de Saragossa - New Name and Device. Per bend engrailed purpure and argent. The name is returned for lack of a dated period reference of the surname in this spelling. From what we can determine, the period spelling of the name begins with a Z, and submitter does not allow sufficient changes to make this change at Kingdom. The Device must therefor be Returned for lack of a name to send it up with. We found no conflicts with the device at this time.
- Llewellyn y Saethwr - Name resubmission (Kingdom). Returned for a lack of a dated spelling/use of Saethwr. It appears that the proper period name meaning "archer" would be "y Saethydd".
- Morgan Cheyney - New Device. Per chevron vert and argent, three dogwood flowers counterchanged. RETURN for conflict with Miles Fitzhubert, reg. 11/94 via An Tir: “Per chevron argent and vert, three roses and a bordure counterchanged”. No difference for dogwood vs roses. Note also: the dogwood flowers as drawn are American dogwood flowers; the European version is quite different.
- Rioghan mac an Ghabhan - New Name and Device. Azure, a winged fox argent, on an embattled chief argent three dogwood flowers azure. There is insufficient documentation for the name. Please provide source citations showing a dated spelling of each name element. The device is RETURNED for lack of a name with which to submit it. Note that the chief and the dogwood flowers need to be larger. Note also: the dogwood flowers as drawn are American dogwood flowers; the European version is quite different.
- Villaleon shire of - New Device. Argent a lion passant purpure, in chief sinister a sun Or surrounded by a laurel wreath vert. This device must be RETURNED for insufficient contrast. The Or sun on the argent field violates R.F.S VIII.2.b.
The following items are PENDED for the reasons given:
- Villaleon shire of - New Name. The name is acceptable, however, the accompanying petition required by Administrative Handbook section IV.C.5 alternately refers to the group as "Villaleon" and "Shire of Leon". Submitters will need to provide a sufficient petition for the name, at which time the name will be sent to Laurel.