Last modified: 30 April 2010
Outlands College of Heralds
30 April 2010
From the Office of Rampart Herald
Baron Randal Carrick (Randall Jackson)
Unto Omar Mohammed Mirzazadeh, White Stag Principal Herald, and the College of Heralds of the Kingdom of the Outlands, does Randal Carrick, Rampart Herald send his greetings. What follows is the Letter of Response for April 2010CE, ruling on the April 2010 Letter of Presentation. I would like to thank the following heralds for providing commentary for this letter: Andrew von Otelingen, Furukusu Masahide, Francesca di Pavia, Gawain of Miskbridge, Rohese de Dinan, Thomas of Shrewsbury, Marie de Blois, Magdalena Lucia Ramberti, Ursula Georges, Kieran Blake, and Llywus ap Alan.
The following items were forwarded to Laurel Sovereign for final determination:
- Aemilia Valeriana. Device Resubmission (Kingdom). Azure, a wheel Or within two horse's heads conjoined at the neck in annulo argent, in chief two barrulets Or. Blazon changed by Rampart from Azure, a wheel Or within a horse-headed torque argent, in chief two bars Or.
- Alamanda de la Roca. New Name.
- Arbella Eden. New Name and Device. Sable, in chief three hearts argent.
- Bardolf Gunwaldtsson. Device Resubmission (Laurel). Sable, a bear statant erect affronty, sinister forepaw upraised, within a bordure engrailed Or.
- Caerthe, Barony of. Order Name Resubmission - Order of the Keystone of Caerthe. Resubmission without inclusion on the LoP, as the reason for return was a letter of permission to conflict which was inadvertently omitted from the previous packet to Laurel.
- Dáirine inghean Ghriogair. Name and Device Resubmission (Kingdom). Per pale azure and Or, two bees and an open book counterchanged.
- Elena Isabella of Glastonbury. New Badge. (Fieldless) Two roses proper entwined of a rapier inverted argent.
- Giovanni da Lucca. New Alternate Name Odd Ulfsson (see RETURNS for Badge).
- Rychard Robertson. New Name. (See RETURNS for Device)
- Simonides Spartiates. New Name and Device. Argent, a chevron and a chief wavy gules. Name changed by Rampart from Simonides Spartenos with submitter's approval.
- Somisawhel de Sousa. New Name and Device. Argent, a rondel barry wavy azure and argent and on a chief azure three gouttes d'Eau.
- Violante do Porto. Name Change from Violante d'Atayde. Rampart will also submit the device Gules, a winged gynosphinx rampant contourney Or, which was pended from the February 2010 LoR, as Laurel finally returned the previous submission on the January LOAR.
The following items were returned for further work:
- Giovanni da Lucca. New Badge. Per Saltire Argent and Azure. RETURNED for conflict: Liam of the Barque, Badge (August 1979), Per saltire argent and purpure; Ælfthryth il, Device (July 2004 via An Tir), Per saltire sable and azure. In each case, there is 1 CD by X.4.a.ii but that's all. Note that X.4.a.ii.b requires that they share no tinctures in common. (Rampart Note: I believe the proposed rules changes, if they are approved, would change this requirement so that changing half the tincture of the field would be sufficient to clear the conflict.)
- Rowena Robertson. New Name and Device. Vert, a griffin couchant, wings elevated and addorsed, between three roundels argent. Returned for lack of documentation. The name Rowena was declared no longer SCA-compatible (and hence not registerable barring documentation of its use in period) on the September 2007 Cover Letter. The provided documentation relates back to the use of the name by Geoffrey of Monmouth, making this source the equivalent of a literary work (i.e. - fiction). The device is returned for lack of a name to send it up with.
- Rychard Robertson. New Device. RETURNED for conflict with Thorin Njalsson, reg. 5/84 via An Tir: Ermine, a lion rampant guardant maintaining a sword sable within a bordure counter-ermine. There is just one CD, for the tincture of the bordure. Fewer, larger, ermine spots will be appreciated greatly by anyone who reproduces this, whether it be by painting, embroidery, appliqué or most any other process.
- Unser Hafen, Barony of. New Order Name, L'Ordre de la Rose d'Or,and Badge. Vert, in pale a portcullis and a rose within an orle of roses Or. Sadly, this order name is RETURNED for presumption against the Order of the Rose. The device is RETURNED for violation of the "sword and dagger" rule wherein charges of the same type but different sizes cannot both be placed directly on the field: "As a result this violates the "Sword and Dagger" principle as applied to charges of the same type but of different size: one cannot use the same charge as both a primary and a secondary charge on the field in the same piece of armory. [Kate Wrenn, LoAR 12/2004, East-R]"
- Wolf von der Muhle. Device Resubmission (Kingdom). Vert, on a pile between a pair of wings argent a triple-arched bridge sable. RETURNED for re-draw. In attempting to make more room for the bridge, submitter unfortunately re-dimensioned the pile beyond identifiability. Piles do not span to the edges of the shield, and are generally longer (the previous pile was very well-drawn). For precedent: "This is not a pile, because it issues from the top corners of the shield. Nor is it chaussé, because it does not extend all the way to base. Nor is it a chief triangular, because it is much too deep. Nor is it a per chevron inverted field division, because it does not issue from the sides of the field. As a result, this must be returned. [Rickard of Gwyntarian, 10/2001, R-Middle]"