Last modified: 29 January 2013
Outlands College of Heralds
16 January 2013
From the Office of Rampart Herald
Baron Randal Carrick (Randall Jackson)
Unto Fiachra ni Ciardhubhain, White Stag Principal Herald, and the College of Heralds of the Kingdom of the Outlands, does Randal Carrick, Rampart Herald send his greetings. What follows is the Letter of Response for January 2013 CE, ruling on the December 2012 Letter of Presentation. I would like to thank the following heralds for providing commentary for this letter: Mistress Francesca de Pavia; Master Louis-Philippe Mitouard, Catspaw Herald Extraordinary; THL Eric Morrison, Hawk's Hollow Pursuivant; Lord Andrew von Otelingen; Lady Katelin de Irlande; THL Conrad von Zollern, Stag's Attire Herald; Lady Khalidah bint Yayah, Castle Herald; Faelan O' Laghlan, Readstan Pursuivant; Lady Shoshanah Simkhah bas Ruven; Lady Rohese de Dinan, Shadowdale Pursuivant; Lady Aritê gunê Akasa; Ásfríðr Úlfvíðardóttir; Alys Mackyntoich, Eastern Crown Herald; Etienne Le Mons, Vexillum Herald; Aryanhwy merch Catmael, Sans Repose Herald; Mistress Marie de Blois, Palimpsest Herald; Gunnvor silfraharr, Orle Herald; Andreas von Meißen, Nautilus Herald; Anzelm Kowalski, Trefoil Herald; Tanczos Istvan, Blue Tyger Herald; and Gawain of Miskbridge, Green Anchor Herald.
I would like to take this opportunity at the end of my tenure as Rampart Herald to extend special thanks to Gawain of Miskbridge and the rest of the NE Calontir commenting group for consistently providing helpful commentary for the last three and a half years. Before OSCAR expanded to include internal commentary for Kingdoms, there were times that I received no other commentary than theirs, and it made my job so much easier to at least have a second set of eyes on things. It is much appreciated
The following items were forwarded to Laurel Sovereign for final determination:
- Aurore Katherine d'Hiver - New Name
- Guy Herbert of Roteland - Resub Device. Per pale argent and sable, two wolves rampant addorsed and a point pointed counterchanged.
- Isabel la Biche d'Hiver - New Household (Chateau Bélier Rouge) Name & New Badge. (Fieldless) On a ram statant to sinister gules, a fleur-de-lis Or.
- Isabel la Biche d'Hiver - New Device. Per pale gules and azure a bell argent, a chief vair.
- Isabella Rechardi - New Name.
- James Harper - New Name & New Device. Per bend sinister sable and argent, an astrolabe Or and a lotus in profile vert.
- Jane Nora Carrik - Appeal of Kingdom return of Device. Azure, six oak branches conjoined at the stems leaved and fructed argent
- Magdalena Lucia Ramberti - New Household Name. Casa del Melagrana.
- Malina of Mousehole - New Name
- Seamus O Mourane - Resub Device. Per chevron argent and azure, two wingless sea dragons combatant and a mullet of seven points counterchanged.
- Sean O Faolain - Appeal of Laurel Return of Name.
- Ulrich Tanhauser - New Name & New Device. Or, a wolf passant and in chief three paw prints sable.
The following items were RETURNED for further work:
- Aurore Katherine d'Hiver - New Device. Per fess engrailed purpure and sable, two zebras passant respect-ant argent striped sable and a demi-sun issuant from base Or. Returned for having a complex line of division between parts of a low-contrast field, per SENA A.3.B.3.a (which says "While we find fields or charges divided into two parts with poor contrast, we do not generally find complex lines of division separating regions with poor contrast. Thus, any pairing of low-contrast tinctures with a complex line of division must be attested in order to be registered.") If the line of division were straight instead of engrailed, this device should be fine. Also, if the submitter can find period examples of a purpure and sable field with an engrailed line of division, that would be cause for a re-evaluation.
- Felicita Marina Medici - New Device. Quarterly per fess barry wavy azure and argent and azure, a quatrefoil Or. Returned for lack of identifiability of the central charge. This appears to be modern graphic arts-style bevelling of the charge, making it something between a cross on a cross, or a box of some sort. While it looks very nice, it is not sufficiently describable to be accurately reproduced.
- Lionardo di Spadaccino - New Name & New Device. Per chevron abased gules and argent, two swords in chevron crossed at the tip Or and a tortoise vert. The name must be changed to drop the patronymic article "di", but as submitter does not allow changes, this item must be returned. On re-submission, either Lionardo Spadaccino or Lionardo il Spadaccino. The device must be returned for lack of a name to send it up with.
- Magdalena Lucia Ramberti - New Badge Change. (Fieldless) A pomegranate Or seeded gules. Returned for conflict with Allaine de Beaumont of Glastonbury [6/95 via Caid]: (Fieldless) A pomegranate slipped and leaved Or. The change of tincture of the seeding does not count for difference.
Thus ends the January 2013 Letter of Response.
Baron Randal Carrick