Last modified: 28 November 2011
Outlands College of Heralds
26 November 2011
From the Office of Rampart Herald
Baron Randal Carrick (Randall Jackson)
Unto Omar Mohammed Mirzazadeh, White Stag Principal Herald, and the College of Heralds of the Kingdom of the Outlands, does Randal Carrick, Rampart Herald send his greetings. What follows is the Letter of Response for November 2011 CE, ruling on the October 2011 Letter of Presentation. I would like to thank the following heralds for providing commentary for this letter: Mistress Francesca de Pavia, Ray-de-Soleil Pursuivant, Master Louis-Philippe Mitouard, Catspaw Herald Extraordinary; THL Eric Morrison, Hawk's Hollow Pursuivant; Lady Leonor Ruiz de Lison; Lord Andrew von Otelingen; Lady Katelin de Irlande; Lady Khalidah bint Yayah, Castle Herald; Faelan O' Laghlan; Ines Alfon, Blanch Tiger Herald; Lady Aritę gunę Akasa; Lady Rohese de Dinan, Shadowdale Pursuivant; and Gawain of Miskbridge, Green Anchor Herald.
The following items were forwarded to Laurel Sovereign for final determination:
- Anthoni Domingo de Zaragoza. New Name and Device. Per fess wavy sable and vert, an axe fesswise reversed blade to base argent handled Or and a griffon segreant Or headed and winged argent.
- Broddi hornabrjótr. Name Resubmission (Laurel) and Device Resubmission (Kingdom). Per fess indented vert and sable, four bear pawprints two and two argent.
- Elionora Brenan. Appeal of Device Return (Laurel). Per chevron azure and argent, two oak leaves Or and a mullet voided and interlaced within and conjoined to an annulet sable.
- Hasanah bint Khalil al-Najjar. Change of Holding Name from Jane of Bright Hills and Change of Device. Or, a horse courant and on a chief indented sable, three compass stars argent. Originally submitted as Hasanah bint Khalil al Najar, the name was changed to the proper case and "al-Najjar was corrected to the documented spelling.
- Iul'ianiia Svercheck. New Name and Device. Argent, in pale three crickets statant sable.
- Khalidah bint Yahya'a. Change of Device. Argent, a quill pen sinister sable and a base engrailed azure.
- Máel Mide ingen Domhnaill. New Name (see RETURNS for Device).
- Milicent of Essex. New Name (See RETURNS for Device). Originally submitted as "Millicent of Essex", the extra "l" in the given name was dropped to match the documented spelling.
- Myhell Ruadh. Device Resubmission (Laurel). Barry azure and argent, a shark urinant Or and on a chief wavy Or three fish skeletons gules.
The following items were RETURNED for further work:
- Máel Mide ingen Domhnaill. Device. Quarterly vert and sable, a dragonfly and a deer hoof print argent. This device is Returned for appearance of Marshalling per RfS XI.3.a: "a. Such fields may be used with identical charges over the entire field, or with complex lines of partition or charges overall that were not used for marshalling in period heraldry." (http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/rfs.html#11.3) This device does not meet that requirement.
- Millicent of Essex. Device. Per chevron azure and argent, two viols Or, affronte with necks in saltire and in a base a tulip gules slipped and leaved vert. This device must be Returned for a redraw. Per the precedent on the May 2011 LoAR Cover Letter (http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/loar/2011/05/11-05cl.html), a properly drawn chevron must be centered vertically on the per fess line of division on the shield. As much of the chevron has to be above this line as there is below it. In this case, the line of division is entirely below the centerline of the field. At the same time, this is too large to be a base pointed.
- Yasamin al-Hadiyya. New Device. Purpure, a senmurv within eight octofoils in annulo Or. Returned for conflict with Bahram the Resplendent (2/83, An Tir): Sable, a senmurv within an annulet of roundels Or. There is one CD for the change of color of the field, but there is no visual difference for roundels versus the octofoils as drawn.