Last modified: 15 June 2011
Outlands College of Heralds
15 June 2011
From the Office of Rampart Herald
Baron Randal Carrick (Randall Jackson)
Unto Omar Mohammed Mirzazadeh, White Stag Principal Herald, and the College of Heralds of the Kingdom of the Outlands, does Randal Carrick, Rampart Herald send his greetings. What follows is the Letter of Response for June 2011 CE, ruling on the May 2011 Letter of Presentation. I would like to thank the following heralds for providing commentary for this letter: Mistress Francesca de Pavia, Ray-de-Soleil Pursuivant, Master Louis-Philippe Mitouard, Catspaw Herald Extraordinary; THL Eric Morrison, Hawk's Hollow Pursuivant; THL Ailinn Shadowfox; Lady Leonor Ruiz de Lison; Editha Filia Rolandi; Lord Andrew von Otelingen; Tyr von Wolfsburg, Wimble Herald; Lady Katelin de Irlande; Ines Alfon; and Gawain of Miskbridge, Green Anchor Herald.
The following items were forwarded to Laurel Sovereign for final determination:
- Jourdain Belebouche. Change of Holding Name from Bubba of the Southern Shores.
- Felix Sniumi. New Name and Device. Per fess argent and purpure, a fox courant to sinister regardant sable. Blazon change from Per fess argent and purpure, a fox courant regardant sinister sable.
- Gabriella Rizo. Device Resubmission (Kingdom). Argent, three peacock feathers conjoined in base proper, within a bordure purpure mullety of eight points argent. Blazon changed from Argent, three peacock feathers conjoined in base proper, within a bordure purpure mullety of eight points argent.
- Guene filia Medrod. Name and Device Resubmission (Kingdom). Per saltire purpure and azure, a unicorn's head couped ermine.
- Hélčne Boudin. Device Resubmission (Kingdom). Per chevron purpure and argent, two chalices argent and a cornucopia sable fruited proper.
- Hélčne Boudin. New Badge. Argent, a bull statant gules maintaining on it's back a lantern sable, a chief checky sable and argent. Blazon changed from Argent, a bull statant gules maintaining a lantern sable, a chief checky sable and argent.
- Ildaria de Zaragozza. Name and Device Resubmission (Kingdom). Per bend sinister engrailed purpure and argent. Name changed from Ildaria de Zaragozza.
- Rammes Keep, College of. Device Resubmission. Vert, a ram's head cabossed and in base a laurel wreath argent, a bordure embattled Or.
- Samantha Mears. New Name. See Returns for Device.
- Unser Hafen, Barony of. Badge Resubmission. Per pale vert and Or, a portcullis counterchanged.
- Villaleon, Incipient Shire of. New Name and Device Resubmission (Kingdom). Argent a lion passant purpure, in chief sinister a sun Gules surrounded by a laurel wreath vert.
The following items were RETURNED for further work:
- Alric Godwynson. Change of Holding Name from Dylan of Vatavia. RETURNED for lack of documentation on the formation of the surname with the addition of -son. Commenters noted that, while several Godwyns are found, the surname Godwynson is not. the more likely construction is, we believe, Alric Godwyn or Alric Godwyns sunu.
- Elizabeth of York. New Name and Device. Per chevron azure and argent, in chevron three mullets of eight points and rose counterchanged. Returned for presumption against Queen Elizabeth of York. Device is returned both for lack of a name to submit it with.
- Liepa Jonaskaite. New Name and Device. Per chevron argent and vert, a linden leaf vert and a crescent moon argent. Returned for lack of documentation for the patronymic. We don't know enough to say whether the argument for the first name is solid, but it's not clear where the 'k' in the patronymic comes from. The examples given formed from names ending in -s drop the -s and add -ite, so we would expect Jonas - s + ite = Jonaite. Where does the interpolated 'k' come from? "Jonaskaite" implies a father named "Jonaskas", which no documentation is provided for. The Device is returned for lack of a name to send it up with. Also, there should be no room for a charge above the point of the chevron, which should divide the field approximately in half.
- Samantha Mears. New Device. Per pale purpure and gules, an escallop argent. Returned for conflict with Nichelle of Whitewolfe, badge reg. 12/03 via Atenveld): "Per pale gules ermined argent and azure, an escallop inverted argent", there's only one CD, for the field.
- Una Ossardottir. New Name and Device. Per saltire argent and sable, a mullet of six points azure and a pawprint sable. Returned for lack of documentation for this spelling of the surname. Unfortunately, none of the documentation supports the patronymic given name with the spelling "Ossar". Device is returned for lack of a name to send it up with.
- Vilém Artur Láník III. New Name and Device. Quarterly azure and Or, in bend a chalice and a fleur-de-lis, and in bend sinister two eagles displayed counterchanged. Returned for multiple issues. We could find no documentation of period naming practices using numerical designators for anyone other than kings, which would make this name fail for lack of documentation and presumption. Further, none of the documentation provided gives dated spellings of the name elements, and geneaology sites are notoriously bad about modernizing names. Finally, given that at best we might disregard the numerical name element, this name would still be a direct conflict with the next name, thus letting only one be registered, but not both. the device is retunred for lack of a name to send it up with, as well as for appearance of marshalling per RFS XI.3 (http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/rfs.html#11.3)
- Vilém Artur Láník IV. New Name and Device. Quarterly azure and Or, in bend a chalice and a fleur-de-lis, and in bend sinister two dragons passant counterchanged. This name and device are returned for the same reasons as the previous name and device.