Outlands College of Heralds
31 May 2014
From the Office of Rampart Herald
Khalidah bint Yahya'a (Nicole Riviezzo)
Unto Randal Carrick, White Stag Principal Herald, and the College of Heralds of the Kingdom of the Outlands, does Khalidah bint Yahya'a, Rampart Herald, send her greetings.
What follows is the Letter of Response for May 2014 CE, ruling on the April 2014 Letter of Presentation.
I would like to thank all of the heralds who were kind enough to provided commentary.
The following items were RETURNED for further work:
- Edmund Peregrine Device Resubmission. Gules, in fess two keys wards to chief wards to chief within an orle of roundels Or
- Returned for a redraw as the keys are not identifiable. They need to be larger and thicker to fill the space.
- Garret Lightborne Device Resubmission. Vert, a horse courant reguardant within an orle argent
- Returned for conflict with Rohan, registered in December of 2007 (via Laurel): Vert, a horse courant argent. There's a DC for the orle, but none for the reguardant.
- Gianni Sangermano New Device. Per chevron sable and vert, two snow leopards sejant respectant argent marked sable and a cross crosslet Or
- Returned for redraw as the field division is neither 'Per Chevron' or a pile. Commentors also note that the snow leopards have too many spots so that they appear as black with white splotches.
- Ginnina the Wanderer New Name & New Device. Per bend rayonny sable and gules, a simurgh rising Or and a scimitar bendwise argent
- Name is returned for lack of documentation. The desired spelling/pronounciation cannot be documented. As the submitter does not allow major changes, the name could not be changed per the submitter's provided documentation as 'Gianina' sounds differently than 'Ginnina'. Device is returned a redraw as color/color lines of division need to be simple lines, not complex lines like rayonny. Commentors note that the simurgh looks like a mess of tangled ribbon - not a simurgh - so it needs to have a larger body and less dominante tail.
- Hergeirr Edvinson New Name Change.
- Name returned for lack of documentation. Submitter did express an interest in an alternative, 'Hergeirr Edwinson'. Unfortunately, 'Hergeirr Edwinson' is a combination of Scandinavian/English post-1100 which is disallowed via SENA Appendix C (http://heraldry.sca.org/sena.html#AppendixC). Commentors documented 'Edwin' to 1275.
- Hrolf Jameson New Device. Gyronny arrondi vert and Or, 8 spearheads in annulo, bases to center, counterchanged
- Returned for multiple reasons. The submitter has no name registered nor was a name submitted with the device. The blazon has the spearheads as counterchanged but the emblazon has them colored as argent. The argent spearheads have the issue of color on color.
- Kateryn Blair New Device. Per pall argent, sable, and vert, a panther rampant sable, a phoenix rising and a wyvern sergeant argent
- Returned for 'slot machine'. Three seperate creatures/items are not allowed on a field. Commentors also not that the panther needs more internal detailing to be recognizable.
- Olek Justsson New Device. Per saltire gules and sable a griffin couchant to sinister argent
- Returned for conflict with Ældric de Logan, registered in September of 2004 (via AEthelmearc): (Fieldless) A griffin couchant to sinister argent. There is only one DC for the field.
- Perryn CoelbrantNew Device. Argent, a cat salient azure and in canton an embroiderer's trundle vert
- Returned for poor period style and for a redraw. While no conflicts were found, commentors noted that the design was modern and pictoral and almost intrusively so. Modern designs are not registerable as armory should abide by Core Period Style. Also, the embroiderer's trudle is a little too low and a touch too far from the dexter corner to be 'in canton'.
- Safiyya bint Faris al-Dani Device Resubmission. Vert, a sea lion Or and in chief three seeblatter argent, a ford proper
- The item was withdrawn by Rampart Herald as it is already registered. It has been submitted due to a misunderstanding about what the 'artist's note', that accompanied the registration, means.
- Þorey Skarp New Device. Purpure, a tree eradicated within an orle argent
- Returned for multiple conflicts. Silvanus of Ciltern: registered in October of 1994 (via An Tir): Gules, an oak tree eradicated within an orle argent; Sileas ní Chinaíd: registered in May of 1993 (via Atlantia): Purpure, a tree eradicated and in chief a roundel argent; Middle, Kingdom of the: registered in July of 1983 (via the Middle): Purpure, an oak tree blasted eradicated argent, fructed Or
The following items were PENDED for further Discussion:
The following items were forwarded to Laurel Sovereign for final determination:
- Abigail MacNaught - New Name
- Adelaisa Bernois - New Badge. (Fieldless) A lily within and conjoined to an annulet Or
- Alamanda de la Roca - Device Resubmission. Per chevron azure and argent, two mullets of eight points Or and a salamander passant reguardant sable enflamed proper
- Antoine de Vallier - New Name & New Device. Per bend sinister argent and gules, a lion's head erased sable and a fleur-de-lys Or
- Arngerdr Hergeirsdottir - New Name.
- Conall Óg mac Dabhídh - Alternate Name Resubmission & New Badge. Date Chotaro Motohisa; Gules, in pale a valknut and a trimount couped within an orle argent
- Ellisif Hergeirsdottir - New Name.
- Friderich von Aigel - New Name & New Device. Per bend argent and azure, a cross formy sable and three triquetrae argent
- Gianni Sangermano - New Name. (See Returns for Device)
- Heinric von Drachenhöle - New Name & New Device. Per pale argent and sable, a Latin cross formy voided within a bordure embattled counterchanged
- Josefina de Luna - New Device. Sable, a catamount passant contourney and on a chief argent, six mullets four and two azure
- Kateryn Blair - New Name. (See Returns for Device)
- Olek Justsson - New Name. (See Returns for Device)
- Slaine inghean Mhuireadhaigh - New Name.
- Sven Justsson - New Name & New Device. Argent, a bull statant contourny gules within an wreath of thorns sable
- Þorey Skarp - New Name. (See Returns for Device)
- Unser Hafen, Barony of - New Order Name. Order of the Guardians of the Portcullis of Unser Hafen
- Unser Hafen, Barony of - New Order Name & New Badge. Order of the Iron Rivet; (Fieldless) On a portcullis Or, a rivet sable
- Unser Hafen, Barony of - New Order Name. Order of the Minstrels of Unser Hafen
- Unser Hafen, Barony of - New Order Name & New Badge. Order of the Nobles Gratitude of Unser Hafen; (Fieldless) On a portcullis vert a heart Or
- Unser Hafen, Barony of - New Order Name. Order of the Riders of the Portcullis of Unser Hafen
- Unser Hafen, Barony of - New Order Name & New Badge. Order of the Skipping Stones; (Fieldless) On a portcullis vert a fountain
- Wilhelm Reissen - Device Resubmission. Vert, three paw prints and on a chief Or, in pale two arrows vert
- Ysabeau de La Rochelle - Device Resubmission. Quarterly gules and lozengy purpure and Or, an urchin argent and a bordure Or
Thus ends the May 2014 Letter of Response.
Khalidah bint Yahya'a