Last modified: 26 March 2013
Outlands College of Heralds
22 April 2013
From the Office of Rampart Herald
Andrew von Otelingen (Andrew Grosser)
Unto Fiachra ni Ciardhubhain, White Stag Principal Herald, and the College of Heralds of the Kingdom of the Outlands, does Andrew von Otelingen, Rampart Herald, send his greetings.
What follows is the Letter of Response for April 2013 CE, ruling on the March 2013 Letter of Presentation.
I would like to thank all of the heralds who were kind enough to provided commentary.
Further, It has come to my attention that, after 15 years of continuous and reliable service and commentary, Master Gawain of Miskbridge, Green Anchor Herald, is taking his FIRST vacation from his tenure as a reliable and duteous commentator on Outlands Letters of Presentation (LoP) so that he can take care of other commitments. As Rampart Herald, on behalf of my predecessors, my office, and the Outlands College of Heralds, I would like to express deep and sincere appreciation for Master Gawain's reliable, intelligent, and informative commentary on our LoP's over the last decade and a half. We hope that he enjoys his break and look forward to his return.
The following items were forwarded to Laurel Sovereign for final determination:
- Aegeon the Actor - Name. (See Returns for Device)
- Alditha de la Tye- Badge. (Fieldless) A squirrel sejant erect contourny sable.
- Alric Godwynson - Name Change from Holding Name & Device Change. Per bend sinister azure and Or, a coross moline Or and a dragon's head couped gules.
- Asenath de Winter - Name & Device. Purpure, three rabbits courant in annulo conjoined by the ears argent, a bordure Or.
- Aurore Katherine d'Hivier - Device. Per fess purpure and sable, two zebras passant respectant argent striped sable and a demi-sun issuant from base Or.
- Beatrix of Ambleside - Name
- Ciarán Brocc - Device. Or, two piles in point sable each charged with a bezant.
- Elisabeth of Saint Edmundsbury - Name.
- Gilliana Leigh Gallway - Device. Sable on a chevron between three bulls' heads erased argent, armed and gorged of a strand of pearls Or, three double roses sable seeded Or.
- Isabella Maria Francesco - Name
- James of Dungannon - Name & Device. Per pale embattled argent and gules, a rapier sable and a lit candle argent.
- Laurentz von Rothenstein - Device
- Makan Skroggr - Name & Device. Per pale gules and sable, three hunting horns entwined in triskelle argent furnished Or.
- Maria Castelana - Name Change & Device. Quarterly purpure and sable, a rapier bendwise sinister and two cinquefoils argent.
- Miriam Volpe - Name
- Pipa de Blakemere - Badge. (Fieldless) A cross fleury quarterly purpure and sable.
- Staros Pacellides of Helicon - Name.
- Titus Modius Varro - Name & Device. Argent, on a saltire raguly sable, a saltire fo chain argent, a bordure sable.
The following items were RETURNED for further work:
- Aegeon the Actor - New Device. Per chevron sable and vert, two St. Markk's Lions statant respectant Or and in base a rose sable fimbriated Or. There
This device must be returned for multiple reasons.
Please note that commenting heralds were able to provide beautiful representations that would be able to pass.
- Per precedent, this is too high to be a point pointed and too low to be a chevron. 1/2 of the chevron line of devision needs to be above, and 1/2 below the fess line for it to be considered a chevron.
- The Rose has one of two problems:
- If the rose is fimbriation: Roses are too complicated a charge to be fimbriated. Also, fimbriation has to be significantly thicker.
- Since the rose is not fimbriated: A black rose on a green field is color on color and must be returned.
- Not a reason to return, but also note:
These are "Winged Lions" not "Lions of Saint Mark." To be a "Lion of Saint Mark" they would need Halos and Books.
- Gerwyn y Teigr - New Badge.
This badge was withdrawn by the submitter.
- Staros Pacellides of Helicon - New Device. Per bend dovetailed Or and Gules, a hawk striking wings displayed and a sperpent targent nowed reversed counterchanged.
- The primary reason for return is the fact that the Dovetailing is so small that it vanishes from a distance and becomes unidentifyable.
- Please also note that this snake is in bend - which is grey-area as to whether it breakign the rule of "unity of postures".
- Many commenters also had a problem with the posture of the bird. The SCA preferred postures for birds can be found here: http://heraldry.sca.org/primer/birds.html
Thus ends the April 2013 Letter of Response.
Andrew von Otelingen