Last modified: 26 March 2013
Outlands College of Heralds
10 March 2013
From the Office of Rampart Herald
Andrew von Otelingen (Andrew Grosser)
Unto Fiachra ni Ciardhubhain, White Stag Principal Herald, and the College of Heralds of the Kingdom of the Outlands, does Andrew von Otelingen, Rampart Herald, send his greetings.
What follows is the Letter of Response for February 2013 CE, ruling on the January 2013 Letter of Presentation.
I would like to thank the following commenting groups for providing commentary on this letter.
- GMCGIHCNBDS: (Baron Randal Carrick; Maistre Louis-Philippe Mitouard, Catspaw Herald Extraordinary; THL Conrad von Zollern, Stags Attire Herald; Lady Katelin de Irlande, Wharrow Herald; THL Eric Morrison, Hawk’s Hollow Pursuivant; Maestra Francesca di Pavia, Blue Iris Herald; and THL Shoshanah Simkhah bas Ruven)
- NE Calontir Commenting Group (Gawain of Miskbridge, Green Anchor; Lord Caoimhin McKee, Kite Herald; Lady Rohese de Dinan, Shadowdale Pursuivant; Lady Aritê gunê Akasa; Giovanni Loredan)
I would like to thank the following heralds for commenting on OSCAR. Alys Mackyntoich (Eastern Crown); Aryanhwy merch Catmael (Sans Repose); Aryanhwy merch Catmael (Sans Repose); Ásfríðr Úlfvíðardóttir; Brían dorcha ua Conaill (Goutte d'Eau); Carrick (Rampart); Conrad von Zollern (Stag's Attire); Eric Morrison of Thistlekeep; Etienne Le Mons (Vexillum); Gawain of Miskbridge (Green Anchor); Gunnvor silfraharr (Orle); Jeanne Marie Lacroix (Dolphin); Khalidah bint Yahya'a (Castle) Mari ingen Briain meic Donnchada (Aldyrne); Maridonna Benvenuti
I would like to take this opportunity at the onset of my tenure as Rampart Herald to extend special thanks to Baron Randal Carrick for his duteous and continued service to the Kingdom, the College of Heralds, and the Dream.
I look forward to getting to work with all of you. Thank you in advance for all of your support during this transition and throughout my tenure! I hope to serve in a way that represents the Outlands well.
The following items were forwarded to Laurel Sovereign for final determination:
- Gerald Beckett - New Name
- Mahowny Mac Agaloglie - New Name & New Device. Per bend dovetailed argent and sable, a ram's head cabossed gules and a feather bendwise argent.
Name changed from Mahowney M'Agaloglie to Mahowny Mac Agaloglie at kingdom to match submitted documentation.
- Sophie von Schönburg - New Device. Argent, on a bend sinister between two bees azure, three oak leaves argent.
- Veronica Olympia Francesco - New Name.
- William Drake of Drakerath - New Name (See Returnns for Device)
The following items were RETURNED for further work:
- Sander von Zeitz - Resub Device. Vert, a all azure fembriated between a compass of 16 points and two sheaves of arrows Or.
Returned the combination of three issues.
First, the fimbriation is too thin - it almost vanishes in the color corrected version and cannot be seen from a distance. The Fimbriation should be at least twice as thick, though an increase of 3-4 times the thickness wouldn't go awry.
Second, the arrows are thin-line heraldry and again vanish from a distance. Using the thicker version of the arrows from the original submission could resolve this issue.
Third, though it was not mentioned on the original return - the charge in chief is not clearly identifiable. A compass has a Fleur-de-lys. There are 3 sizes of points - so "greater and lesser" points cannot be used. This does not have the alternating wavy & straight points of a Sun. Thus - it is not clear what the charge is.
- Selene of the Sky - New Badge. (Fieldless) A scimitar argent, cross guard Or and hilt sable, draped by a veil azure..
Returned for a violation of SENA A.1.C, requiring that the emblazon be reproducible from the blazon, and that the emblazon reproducible from the blazon (http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/sena.html#A1C).
The veil is not consistently identifiable as such, and the position & relation to the sword is not reproduciblyblazonable.
- William Drake of Drakerath - New Device. Gyronny Or and vert, a wyvern sejant to sinister wings displayed argent.
Returned for Multiple Conflicts including (but not limited to):
- Gabhan mac Aedain (reg. 07/1988 via Calontir), Per fess argent and sable, in base a wyvern passant, wings displayed and tail nowed erect, argent.
- Arria Maior (reg. 5/90 via An Tir), Lozengy sable and Or, a dragon passant to sinister argent.
- Isabella de Bourgogne (reg.1/03 via the East), Per chevron inverted rayonny sable and gules, in chief a dragon sejant contourny argent
Thus ends the February 2013 Letter of Response.
Andrew von Otelingen