Last modified: 18 July 2012
Outlands College of Heralds
18 July 2012
From the Office of Rampart Herald
Baron Randal Carrick (Randall Jackson)
Unto Fiachra ni Ciardhubhain, White Stag Principal Herald, and the College of Heralds of the Kingdom of the Outlands, does Randal Carrick, Rampart Herald send his greetings. What follows is the Letter of Response for July 2012 CE, ruling on the June 2012 Letter of Presentation. I would like to thank the following heralds for providing commentary for this letter: Mistress Francesca de Pavia, Ray-de-Soleil Pursuivant, Master Louis-Philippe Mitouard, Catspaw Herald Extraordinary; THL Eric Morrison, Hawk's Hollow Pursuivant; Lady Leonor Ruiz de Lison; Lord Andrew von Otelingen; Lady Katelin de Irlande; Lady Khalidah bint Yayah, Castle Herald; Faelan O' Laghlan; Ines Alfon, Blanch Tiger Herald; Lady Aritę gunę Akasa; Lady Rohese de Dinan, Shadowdale Pursuivant; and Gawain of Miskbridge, Green Anchor Herald.
The following items were forwarded to Laurel Sovereign for final determination:
- Amicia de Braci - New Name & New Device. Per pale purpure and sable, on a fess way argent two increscents counterchanged, in chief a butterfly argent.
- Bianca Isabel d'Orsini - New Name & New Device. Checky of nine sable and Or, in cross a bee and four fleurs-de-lys counterchanged
- Bloodstone, Canton of - Resub Badge. Gules, a griffon's head contourny erased argent, collared sable platy
- Broddi hornabrjótr - Resub Device. Per fess indented vert and sable, four bear pawprints argent
- Cera ingen Rónáin - Resub Badge. (Fieldless) A mascle argent, overall a hummingbird rising to sinister purpure
- Charles D' Amour - New Name (See Returns for Device)
- Ciarán an Broc - New Name (See Returns for Device)
- Danek of Aarquelle - New Name (See Returns for Device)
- Dihya al-Hagariyya - Resub Device. Argent, three gouttes de larmes on a chief azure, a plate between two mullets of six points elongated to chief and base.
- Edric Capellarius - New Name
- Felicita Marina de'Medici - New Name.
- Hayashi Yo'ichirou Norikata - New Badge. (Fieldless) On an open book argent two pine trees azure.
- Hayashi Yo'ichirou Norikata - New Badge. Per pale indented per fess azure and Or, a lion rampant maintaining a chalice Or and a barrel argent.
- Jehennette van Mynden - New Badge. (Fieldless) A squirrel dormant azure
- Katla á Katanesi - New Name & New Device. Azure, a decrescent argent and a bat-winged lynx segreant Or
- Laurentz von Rothenstein - New Name (Edit) (Delete) & New Device. Azure, on a pile inverted throughout vert fimbriated argent, a natural salamander tergiant breathing flame argent.
- Raphael de'Medici - New Name
- Rowland of Lincolnshire - New Badge. Per pale argent and sable, a mullet within a bordure counterchanged
- Samantha Kennington - Resub Name & Resub Device. Per pale purpure and gules, an escallop inverted, on a bordure argent, three gouttes purpure.
- Stigr Robertsson - Resub Device. Per bend vert and sable, a bend between two axes bendwise addorsed argent
- Zaahira de la Sara - Resub Name.
The following items were RETURNED for further work:
Charles D' Amour - New Device. Quarterly azure and argent, two dragons gules. Returned for Conflict with Avery of the Wode September 2006 (via Lochac): Quarterly azure and argent, in bend sinister two legless wyverns erect embowed and counterembowed sable. There is at most one difference granted between dragons and wyvverns.
Ciarán an Broc - New Device. Or, two piles in point sable each charged with a torque Or. Returned for Redraw. The torcs as placed are really too small to be identifiable. Moving them to chief and making them larger would make everything much better.
Danek of Aarquelle - New Device. Azure, a thunderbolt bendwise argent. Returned for Conflict with Michael of Darkwater (November of 2009 (via Trimaris): Per bend sinister gules and azure, a lightning bolt bendwise argent. There is only one difference granted for the field.
Ingvarr Halvarson - Resub Device. Gyronny of six gules and Or, three ravens reguardant in annulo heads to center sable. Returned based on the following prcedent: [February 1999 LoAR, R-Artemisia] Daibhidh MacRaibert. Name and device. Per pale sable and gules, in pale two natural dolphins that in chief naiant contourny argent that in base naiant inverted Or and two swords in chevron inverted argent.
The armory is being returned for a redraw. The dolphins are not in annulo, but with one naiant and one inverted. We do not allow inverted animate charges in SCA heraldry except when in recognized orientation, such as in annulo. In this case, a number of commenters argue that this arrangement is not "in annulo". Because this is a marginal case, if submitter feels strongly enough about this design, they are more than welcome to appeal directly to Laurel for a ruling.
Jane Nora Carrik - New Device Change. Azure, six oak branches conjoined in base, leaved and fructed argent. Returned for visual conflict. As drawn, this device is visually very similar to an escarbuncle or snowflake, which brings it into visual conflict with Christel Leake [March of 2007 (via Caid)]: Azure, an escarbuncle argent and a base rayonny Or.
Kenelm MacKenna - New Device. Argent, a lion's head contourny vert maintaining in its mouth a sun in splendor Or, in orle 9 ermine spots sable. Returned for conflict with Ceridwen verch y gof [February of 2007 (via AEthelmearc)]Argent, a lion's head erased contourny vert. There is only 1 change for the addition of the ermine spots (which really need to be larger).
Maimuna al-Bukhariyya - New Badge. Azure, a cross fleury argent. Returned for multiple conflicts (we stopped counting at 14).
Rinieri Divettino - New Name. Returned for lack of documentation for the use of this proposed surname dated to period.
Six Dittel Von Amberg - New Name & New Device. Lozengy sable and vert, a winged wolf segreant argent. The Von in the name must be lowercase, but submitter does not allow changes, so this name must be returned. The device must be returned for lack of a name to send it up with , and because the field violates the rules of contract by having more than 4 sections and two colors.